Psalm 78:6-7 ~ ...that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God...


My prayer is that you will be helped, encouraged, and challenged by some of the things I post on this blog. I make no claims to be an expert in leading a family. I make no claims in being the model spiritual leader in the home, but I do love God's word, and I do love to remind myself daily of how gracious and merciful and steadfast in his love God is, I do want to make the cross of Jesus Christ central in my home, and I do want to be helpful to those whom God has entrusted me to care for. We are all on this journey together to tell the next generation the praises of God so that our children and our children's children will set their hope in God.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Walking by Faith, Part 3


In Genesis 26:1-11, we learn that when God kept Isaac from leaving the land promised to Abraham, God reiterated the promise with him but then had to protect Rebekah from Abimelech when Isaac lied about her. Isaac received the great promises and the instruction for obedience, just as Abraham. However, because of fear he used deception towards the men of Gerar, thus making a mockery of his faith.

The maneuver done in this story by Isaac is quite shocking considering he just saw an appearance of the Lord. He received revelation that God was with him and that the promise to Abraham would be passed on to him because of Abraham’s obedience. But soon after the reiteration of the promise his faith began to wane. He looked at his situation in Gerar and then he was moved with fear. Why…because Abimelech was stronger and more powerful than he. He took the road of deception as his way of fleeing this fearful situation. He followed the example of Abraham. In fact, he made a mockery of the promises just reminded to him by God.

As I think about this story I can recall the many ways I make or have made a mockery of God’s promises. Every time I fail to follow what His word says, I make a mockery of Him because I’m saying that what his word says has no purpose in my life. By not following the commands of scripture, I am saying I don’t believe obedience to God will please Him and bring unforeseen blessing in my life. Faith boldly faces danger, but fear makes a mockery of faith. When I falter in my faith, I’m reminded that God will carry out His promises not because of my obedience or lack of it, but because of one man’s obedience (Jesus, cf. Romans 5:19). This should motivate me all the more to walk by faith and not by fear. Paul’s words in Phil 4:6 should be my response should when I’m afraid.

Let us walk in obedience because of the one who walked fully obedient. Let us not forget that in not sparing His Son – He will not spare any good thing from us that will only bolster our faith all the more.

No comments: