Psalm 78:6-7 ~ ...that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God...


My prayer is that you will be helped, encouraged, and challenged by some of the things I post on this blog. I make no claims to be an expert in leading a family. I make no claims in being the model spiritual leader in the home, but I do love God's word, and I do love to remind myself daily of how gracious and merciful and steadfast in his love God is, I do want to make the cross of Jesus Christ central in my home, and I do want to be helpful to those whom God has entrusted me to care for. We are all on this journey together to tell the next generation the praises of God so that our children and our children's children will set their hope in God.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Walking by Faith, Part 4


In Genesis chapter 31, it was clear that Jacob had learned what he needed to learn in the 20 years of oppression under Laban. God used those years to convince him that his God is faithful to His promises. For the nation of Israel, they would have seen the faithfulness of God despite their 400 years of bondage to Egyptian rule. It would be tempting to forget all about the patriarchs and what God promised through them, as they undergo difficulties upon entering the Promised Land. God’s blessings were an indication that He was with them. In the same way God’s blessings is an indication that He is with us and will never leave us nor forsake us. For the believer, those blessings primarily are “every spiritual blessings in the heavenly realms” mentioned in Ephesians chapter one.

Spiritual blessings are longer lasting than material blessing. Therefore every believer must realize that their spiritual blessings far outweigh any material blessings they might gain. Should we then all the more be faithfully obedient to the call of God in our lives? Should we then not all the more trust in God’s provision and protection? When Jesus said “follow me” he was saying follow my way of life “go outside the camp and bear the reproach I will bear.” Because there is blessing their far beyond you can imagine.

God’s message to Jacob was to “leave Laban, but be ready because their will be tension with Laban and then you will experience tension with Esau, but I am with you and will protect you.”

It’s easy to forget that as believers, regardless of our material status, that we are blessed far beyond we can imagine. We get excited about bread crumbs when there is an entire bakery that awaits us in heaven. It’s sad isn’t it? But this is where our hearts must desperately change. We must pray for the Lord to cause our hearts to grow more content with who we are and what we have in Christ. We must pray that the Lord would guard our hearts from being satisfied with material possessions and that we would continue moving “outside the camp” – bearing the reproach of Christ. We must pray that we do not become too comfortable with American Christianity.

Our prayer must be, “Lord, what else can I give up. I know I hold on to my possessions so tightly, but there is so much more to let go. Help me to obey your call to follow you.”

2 comments:

jhoch said...

Roland, thanks for this series on faith. I'm challenged by it, and pray I'll be changed as a result of reading it.

Kailyn Renae said...

we pray for you guys often
roland