Psalm 78:6-7 ~ ...that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God...


My prayer is that you will be helped, encouraged, and challenged by some of the things I post on this blog. I make no claims to be an expert in leading a family. I make no claims in being the model spiritual leader in the home, but I do love God's word, and I do love to remind myself daily of how gracious and merciful and steadfast in his love God is, I do want to make the cross of Jesus Christ central in my home, and I do want to be helpful to those whom God has entrusted me to care for. We are all on this journey together to tell the next generation the praises of God so that our children and our children's children will set their hope in God.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Vacation / Graduation Weekend

Much has gone on since my last post. We returned from our family vacation on May 14th, and I have to say that by God’s grace it was the most enjoyable, relaxing, and spiritually refreshing vacation we have had in a long time. We started off enjoying the beauty of God’s creation in Southern Utah. What a joy to be able to remind my children that the only reason why we were able to truly enjoy the beauty of God’s creation is because we know the God who created all of it. And the only reason we know the God of creation is because He chose to reveal himself to us through His word and through His Son.
The picture with these men from Spokane reminded me why as a church we must be committed to training men for full time vocational ministry. Every single one of these men will be going to different parts of the country to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to a world in desperate need of a Savior. And each of these men was trained for ministry here at FBC through what was then known as the “Men of God” program. The Lord has used each of them to shape me in my role as a pastor in one way or another.
It was also an encouraging time for my children to watch their daddy walk across the stage to receive his diploma. It was actually quite an emotional time for me as I walked across the stage, because of all my family sacrificed as I went through Seminary. Many thanks to LaNae who encouraged me to press on to study and write papers; many thanks to LaNae for reminding the kids that daddy needed to study; many thanks to LaNae for her sacrifice.

Jessica Hoch and Arianna Tobin coordinated a reception the Spokane graduates. Many thanks to them for putting this together. During the reception Juli McKitterick said, she almost cried when I walked across the stage because she remembered how hard it was for our family. I told her, I did cry as I walked across the stage. This walk across the stage confirmed that I was done with my career as an RN and am now a pastor. I am extremely grateful for the privilege of being a pastor.

No comments: