Psalm 78:6-7 ~ ...that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God...


My prayer is that you will be helped, encouraged, and challenged by some of the things I post on this blog. I make no claims to be an expert in leading a family. I make no claims in being the model spiritual leader in the home, but I do love God's word, and I do love to remind myself daily of how gracious and merciful and steadfast in his love God is, I do want to make the cross of Jesus Christ central in my home, and I do want to be helpful to those whom God has entrusted me to care for. We are all on this journey together to tell the next generation the praises of God so that our children and our children's children will set their hope in God.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Puppet Show

Tonight during our family time Kailyn and Cade put together a puppet show for Claire explaining the overall theme of the first 3 chapters of 1 Thessalonians. We have been studying it all week and this week we were finally back on a somewhat normal routine after being on vacation for 2 weeks and then moving into our new home 1 week after returning from our trip. They decided they would teach this lesson in puppet show fashion and they did a great job. Their puppets are made out of craft sticks and LaNae decorated them to represent different characters. We haven’t seen a puppet show in a long time. LaNae and I used to put together puppet shows together for Kailyn and Cade when they were younger, but lately we’ve slacked (I should say I have slacked). Sometimes I resort to what is easiest to put together, namely a straight lecture.

After Kailyn and Cade did their lesson, they asked if LaNae and I would put a puppet show together. We’ve been in the passage all week, so we pretty much know the key point of the passage. So we put one together “off the cuff.” It was fun, the kids always enjoy it, and they usually grasp the concepts we are trying to teach them when we do so in creative fashion. I guess, I know this, but sometimes I get lazy in the creativity department. It was a good reminder that I need to think through how I am going to present my Bible lesson during our family times on my way home from work.

Here’s a picture of the puppets we use as a teaching tool (check out the babe in the middle with the 80's big hair look). They are easy to make. You need craft sticks, felt, glue gun, pen, and some buttons. You can look at the picture and see how they come together. It looks kind of “cheesy”, but our kids don’t have much in the way of entertainment media so they are easily entertained. However, we’ve used these figures in a Sunday school class on several occasions with kids who have every form of entertainment possible from pre-school all they way to 2nd grade, and they are still drawn to them. It's nothing fancy, but my philosophy in family devotions (and teaching kids in general) is be creative. Whatever will keep them engaged in the lesson and as long as they hear and learn God's word, use it.

LaNae is taking orders.

No comments: